If you like music, and perhaps you do. Then you might recognize some of these in my list of the Top Ten Lyric Phrases. Frequently, I think that songs are the only place that poetry is appreciated in our modern society. It’s not too often people go around quoting poems these days, in the absence of music.
This is intended to be a little break in the action from some of the more serious posts that have been going on around here lately…. I don’t claim these are the “end all, be all” of phrases, in fact, if you asked me on a different day you’d get a different answer. But these are todays…..Think I missed one? Leave a comment.
10. – It’s like someone took a knife baby edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley through the middle of my soul. – I’m on Fire/Bruce Springsteen
9. – I wear my crown of thorns, upon my liar’s chair. Full of broken thoughts, I cannot repair. Beneath the stain of time, the feeling disappears. You are someone else, I am still right here. – Hurt/Nine Inch Nails
8. – Oh, mirror in the sky, What is love? Can the child within my heart rise above? Can I sail thru the changing ocean tides? Can I handle the seasons of my life? – Landslide/Fleetwood Mac
7. – The seed is spilled, the bed defiled, for you, a virgin bride. Hide yourself in someone else, don’t find yourself in me. – Love Comes Tumbling/U2
6. – Love is like a dying ember, only memories remain. – Blue Eyes Cryin’/Willie Nelson
5. – Some of us hover when we weep for the other who was dying since the day they were born. – Stay/Lisa Loeb
4. – It’s not having what you want, it’s wanting what you’ve got. – Soak Up the Fun/Sheryl Crow
3. – In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen. Most of them dreams, most of them dreams. – A Pirate Looks at Forty/Jimmy Buffet
2. – Lookin’ at the world through the bottom of a glass, all I can see is a man who’s fadin’ fast. – Misery and Gin/Merle Haggard
1. – Is a dream alive that won’t come true? Or is it something worse? – The River/Bruce Springsteen